Saturday, May 2, 2009

Workbench Update: "Here Horsie, Horsie..."

As I stated in the last post, my intention was to attempt a pinto-style paint scheme on Jeremiah Kraye's horse. I started out as intended, but ran into two snags almost immediately.

First of all, I started with a skewbald (brown and white) scheme, but found that it wasn't working out for me. Furthermore, I was trying to paint as randomly as I possibly could, but the final product was starting to look like I was trying too hard to be random.

In the end, I went searching for a photo of an actual pinto horse, and this time a Piebald (black and white) speciman. I also loosely copied the color pattern from the photo instead of trying to come up with my own.



















As you can see, I still have to paint Kraye himself, as well as the barding and harness on the horse. However, I'm pleased with where this model is headed, and will hopefully have him on the table next Saturday night.

In other news, Chris H. has decided to give 6mm Impetus a try. He expressed an interest in both 6mm models and ancient gaming, and after having a look at the many options, will be trying a Palmyran army. This list will give him a a small core of legion, auxilia, and alares, as well as a nice selection of cataphracts, light horse, and skirmishers.

2 comments:

Chad Sikes said...

Your horse look's great! I'm really impressed with your painting style.

I look forward to seeing your 6mm Impetus armies. While I have a 15mm army in process, I am considering pursuing the game in 6mm...and look to your armies for inspiration.

Regards
Chad

JET (aka Jason) said...

Thanks for the compliments. Hopefully it will look good when the entire model is finished.

I find plaing Impetus in 6mm to be very satisfying. Meanwhile, I've jealously watched your Indian army develop. I would love to paint and play an Indian army.