Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Western Building: first one with a false front

With only one Cygnar model left to paint for the upcoming 1000-point game, I've started thinking about the Old West again. For those who have kept track, I've built a workshop, a livery stable, and a two-storey house, but no buildings with false fronts a la main street. Last night I gave it a spin, and I was pleasantly surprised with the results.


As you can see, I forgot to add a door handle. I tried a few new little things on this building. To speed up construction of a slatted porch step, I simply scored a piece of thick card with a knife and mounted it on a slightly smaller piece of card.


I also shingled the roof using pieces of thin card cut in irregular shapes and glued them on in a haphazard pattern.


Here's a view of the back...


...and a view from the front (i.e. the pretty side that will attract customers)

I will add a sign when I figure out what it's going to be. I'm pondering a secondary building - so not a law office, jail, saloon, or hotel. Maybe a gunsmith, undertaker, post office... Quite frankly, I'm open to suggestions. Leave a comment if you have any brainstorms.


Thanks for reading,
JET

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi from TMP. The building looks great, though I think the roof shingles are way too large for the scale of the building. But that's a minor quibble with a great looking building.

You might consider a Land Office, Barber Shop (double duty as Doc's office, as barbers often did both, a Dry Goods Store, or if your town is small enough, the Town Office for mayor / holding court, etc.

Keep 'em coming - they are a great inspiration.

terrement from TMP

JET (aka Jason) said...

Strangely, I copied the shingle the size from some buildings pictured in the Legends of the Old West Rulebook. Not to say they necessarily know what they are doing mind you.

Maybe a Dry Goods Store. I will continue reflecting. Thanks for the input.

JET

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Nice job - looking forward to seeing it painted... my vote would be for a "general store".. :o)